By Kevin Fagan, Trisha Thadani, Annie Ma and Peter Fimrite —

Advertisement

Three people were shot at YouTube headquarters in San Bruno in an attack that sent workers running from the building in a quiet office park Tuesday afternoon.

The three victims — two women and a man — were rushed to San Francisco General. The women, 32 and 27, were in serious condition and the man, 36, was in critical condition. Authorities said they believe the shooter died from a self-inflicted gunshot at the YouTube headquarters at 901 Cherry Ave.

San Bruno police and San Mateo County sheriff’s deputies rushed to the building and began evacuating workers around 1 p.m. Several YouTube employees reported on social media hearing gunfire and running for their lives.

Witnesses told The Chronicle they saw at least one person dead and another suffering from a gunshot wound.

“We are responding to an active shooter,” San Bruno police tweeted at 1:28 p.m. “Please stay away from Cherry Ave & Bay Hill Drive.”

Workers who were in the building described a chaotic scene as people scrambled away from a shooter wearing body armor.

A San Bruno resident who identified himself only as Jesse said he was getting a hamburger at Carl’s Jr. across the street from the YouTube offices when he suddenly heard three shots in rapid succession. A young woman came out of the office, shot in the left leg. He said he helped drag her into the restaurant before hearing more shots ring out.

Jesse said he ran back toward the YouTube office and looked through the doorway and saw a woman lying on the ground.

“She was dead, I’m sure of it,” he said. “Those 10 shots were rapid fire – it was no mercy. There were four more shots after that.

I wish I had had a gun but I didn’t. I had to be smart and get out of there. I had to be fast.”

The eyewitness said the entire episode took about 30 seconds.

“I was in the courtyard and we heard the gunshots, then saw him. He had a shooting mask on, full body armor and was calmly walking and firing a handgun,” Salahoden Abdul-Kafi, a YouTube product manager, wrote on Facebook. “We jumped to the floor then ran as fast as we could. I’m on my way home now.”

Abdul-Kafi said he was OK ,”but I don’t know about a lot of coworkers.”

It still wasn’t clear an hour after the first reports came in whether the shooter was still in the building.

As helicopters circled overhead, police started taking statements from those who were in the building when the shooting began. Dozens of employees stood near a parking garage across the street from the company’s headquarters. They were on their cellphones, contacting friends and family and recounting what happened.

One group of employees — who declined to provide their names because of YouTube’s media policy — said they were sitting at their desks working around 1 p.m. when they suddenly heard a “pop-pop-pop.”

The noises sounded like they were coming from the courtyard, the employees said. But they initially dismissed it as the sound of people moving equipment. Then, people started running “like something serious was happening.”

One employee said he saw two shattered glass doors. The group hid inside an office for about 20 minutes until police came and cleared them out.

Just to the south of the modernistic technology company headquarters, Michael Finney, 21, helped a woman who had been shot. He said he was working the counter at a nearby Carl’s Jr. at about 1:30 p.m. when a young Asian woman stumbled into the restaurant with a gunshot wound to her left leg. She had been shot in the parking lot, he said.

“She was pretty calm,” Finney said. “I got a bungee cord and tied it around her leg to stop the bleeding. I asked her why someone would shoot her and she said she didn’t know.”

Fed Krysko, 21, of San Bruno, said he was visiting a friend at Carl’s Jr.when employees began coming out of the YouTube building across the street with their hands up.

“This is insane,” Krysko said. “I’ve lived here seven years and there’s never been anything like this before. This is what you see happening all over the country, but not in San Bruno.”

Todd Sherman, who identified himself as a YouTube product manager on his Twitter page, said he was sitting in a meeting and then heard that people were running.

“First thought was earthquake.”

“We headed towards the exit and then saw more people and someone said that there was a person with a gun,” Sherman wrote on Twitter. “I looked down and saw blood drips on the floor and stairs. Peeked around for threats and then we headed downstairs and out the front.”

Sherman wrote that he and his co-workers headed down the street and that he is now headed home.

Google Communications, which owns YouTube, tweeted, “We are coordinating with authorities and will provide official information here from Google and YouTube as it becomes available.”

Chronicle staff writers Lizzie Johnson, Hamed Aleaziz, Jenna Lyons and Sophie Hagney contributed to this report.

About RR Tribune

No Comments

Be the first to start a conversation

Leave a Reply

  • (will not be published)